Sunday, May 10, 2009

Precious Me

It is a beautiful day today, and after my trials and tribulations of yesterday I thought it would be good to do something positive. Sharing one of my latest creations might do. I saw a few needlefelted animals not long ago and simply fell in love. I wondered, to myself, of course, what my favorite animal was that I could possibly portray in wool roving that gets pummeled by a needle. A Pig. Yes, indeed. I love pigs--especially the pink ones. So my mission was to find some pink roving and I started envisioning what my pig would look like. So many artists give realistic versions of beagles and beavers and assorted animals, but I was thinking of my little pig in the abstract. This is the first one I've created--she thinks quite highly of herself, as you can see.



Ahhh, there, I have shared and I feel better already. As I said, yesterday was pretty horrendous. It was one of those days that you just feel out of kilter in everything you attempt. Nothing went smoothly, nor in the sequence it should have. I was preparing to knit my new lucious Ella Rae Lace Merino into a pair of socks I was going to knit on two circular needles. But first, I needed to put the yarn on the swift and wind it into a ball. Somehow, I managed to forget that I needed two separate balls of this beautiful yarn. Once it was in one ball, I thought I would simply pull out half of it (230 yards worth) and turn that into a new ball. In the course of measuring the yarn, it fell in on itself the way yarn does and loops around itself. As if I didn't know that's what would happen--what was I thinking? I ended up with a mess of yarn that needed to be unmangled. It took me about an hour. That's not bad, you say? I beg to differ. You see, after I got it wound up, I realized that I had not counted out 230 yards--it's more like 130 yards. How I made that mistake I will never know. The only thing I can think of doing is buying another hank of Ella Rae Lace merino. Pity the thought.

No comments: