Monday, January 7, 2008

An Invitation of Sorts

Good day knitters! I wanted to share my latest project with you and despite the numerous problems in obtaining this pattern from the Lion Brand site, it is indeed beautiful. Because I have noted complaints by others about the Lion Brand website, I am going to post the pattern here as Lion Brand does claim it is "free." But first, let us cast our gaze upon this lovely shawl:





Lace Wrap
Lion Brand® Cotton-Ease (new)
GAUGE:
16 sts + 20 rows = 4 in. [10 cm] over pattern. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you less stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

WRAP
Cast on 89 sts.
Row 1 (wrong side): K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Row 2: K3, *yo, k3, k3tog, yo, k1, yo, k3tog, k3, yo, k1; rep from * across to last 2 sts, k2.
Rows 3-10: Rep Rows 1 and 2 four times.
Row 11: K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Row 12: K3, *yo, k3tog, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, k3tog, yo, k1; rep from * across to last 2 sts, k2.
Rows 13-20: Rep Rows 11 and 12 four times.
Rep Rows 1-20 until piece measures 80 in. [203 cm] from beg, end with a Row 20. Bind off.
FINISHING
Weave in ends.


As you can see, the pattern is lace and one only needs pay close attention to what section they are in as the pattern creates undulating waves that give it that lovely look. I had tried previously knitting the pattern with Cotton-Ease, but gave up. It took me several months to find a yarn that would have the wonderful drape needed for this pattern. I started my lace wrap last evening using Berroco Touche' which is a fabulous blend of 50% Cotton and 50% Rayon and the color 7936 is a rather bright lavender. Let it be noted that I do not like to knit with cotton, but this yarn is an exception. The Berroco yarn is far superior and although it is a loose multi-strand yarn like Cotton-Ease, it knits like a dream. Here is what I have knitted so far:



I am also surprised how quick this has knitted up. So let this be a formal invitation, if you care, to KAL with me and please feel free to post your comments. Happy Knitting in 2008!

No comments: