Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer-time and the living is not so easy

Today finds me a bit on the lazy-side. I'm not sure if it is genuine fatigue brought on by seasonal allergies or if it's just general malaise. Summer time and heat are not favorites of mine, and this could be what is dragging me down. So I have decided to turn my thoughts to a cheerier time, that of the upcoming fall. I am not a sweater knitter, but I have thought of trying my hand at the garter stitch blanket of Elizabeth Zimmerman most recently featured on brooklyntweed's blog. Jared and I think so much alike. It's all about classic lines for me, and him too, I think. And I envy his ability to whip out projects in what seems to be mere seconds. How does he do that?

On a smaller scale I have just knit a baby blanket following a lovely little pattern that can be found at Stitches from the Heart. It's a charity with true kindness at its heart. There are so many babies born into this world much too early, and parents totally unprepared--clothing, toys have not been purchased yet and so the little ones enter with nothing, and so many leave early as well. Wouldn't it be lovely for them to have just one thing? Maybe a little blanket like the one I knitted seen here



The rows are eyelets which I entertwined bright white ribbon through. One always has the option of not putting the ribbon in, it might be more functional without it. But the white called out for the ribbon, at least to me. I think it might even make a nice christening blanket. But you can find several baby blanket and hat patterns for knitters and crocheters at the site. All the details are there for you to donate your handiwork.

It is time to recline and let the warm thoughts of a bonfire and hot chocolate permiate my thoughts as I attempt to make it through the heat of summer.

No comments: